GULVALL is a parish, township and village, 1 mile from Penzance, in West Cornwall, Penwith Hundred, Penzance Union, Penwith deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter bishopric. The church, a stone building of the fifteenth and sixteenth century, has tower, nave, two aisles, north transept, porch, chancel, organ, 3 bells, monuments, font, and old register chest, A.D. 1600. The living is a vicarage, worth £365 rent-charge yearly, with residence and 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, the Rev. W. W. Wingfield B.A. is the incumbent. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, National schools for boys and girls; also a Sunday school held at the same schools. The population, in 1851, was 1,859, and the acreage is 4,547. The soil is of a varied character; by the sea extremely productive, while on the higher side it is rather gravelly. Sir Henry Onslow, Bart., is lord of the manor; and the Rev. William Veale, Sir Henry Onslow, Bart., Miss Johns, and John Trevalyan, Esq. are chief landowners. The chief crops are vegetables for the London and other markets, especially potatoes, of which two crops are grown annually on the lower ground, a large portion of the higher being in dairy farm; a little wheat is grown. There are charities of £15 yearly value. Trevayler is the seat of the Rev. William Veale; Renegie, of William Coulson, Esq.; Rosemooran, of the Misses Johns; Chyandour, of William Bolitho, Esq.; and Pendree, of J. S. Bedford, Esq.
Ding-Dong Mine is in this township, supposed to be the oldest in Cornwall, and is still at work.
Bolitho William, esq
Grenfell Pascoe, esq
Veale Rev. William, M.A.
Allen Richard, miller
Carbis John, parish clerk
Carne William, carpenter
Friggen William, farmer, Bosulval
Nicholls Thomas, smith
Oliver Michael, miller
Rich Henry, tailor
Robert James, farmer, Trevarrack
Roberts William, smith
Thomas James, gardeners & farmer, Ridgeovan
Thomas John, gardener
Thomas Richard, gardener & farmer
Tripp Anthony, grocer & miller
Letters though Penzance, which is the nearest money order office
More about Gulval
More from Kelly’s 1856