GULVAL is a parish, township and village, 1 mile north-east from Penzance railway station and 2 west from Marazion, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Gulwal is a building of granite mainly of the sixteenth century, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle with porch, north transept and an embattled tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells: it was re-seated and partially restored in 1858, at a cost of about £600, raised by subscription: the windows, all of which are stained, have been inserted at a total cost of £5,000: there is a piscina and a very curious old monument, erected in 1627, to the Davills family: in the churchyard stands the mutilated head of a cross fixed in a massive base, with some half obliterated carving. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1600; marriages and burials, 1598. The living is a vicarage, £355 yearly rent charge, gross income £425 with residence and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1839 by the Rev. William Wriothesley Wingfield B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, and surrogate. There are three chapels for Wesleyans, situated at Cross, Gear and Trezelah, and two for Bible Christians at Carfury and New Mill. There are charities of small yearly value. Here are extensive ice works, built by Frederick Ashwell esq. and fitted with Harrison’s patent machinery, by Siddeley and Mackay, capable of producing 60 tons of ice per week. The Rosemorran is an ancient round headed cross, 3 feet high, and at Bleu (i.e. parish) Bridge an inscribed monolith, which reads “Quenatavus Icdinui filius.” Trevayler is the seat of the Veale family and is now occupied by Mrs. T. B. Bolitho. and Ponsandane of William Bolitho esq. jun.: Kenegie, the old seat of Arundell Harris esq. is now occupied by Sir Paul Wm. Molesworth bart. J.P. Thomas Simon Bolitho esq. J.P., D.L. is lord of the manor; the legatees of Miss John and Colonel Sir Augustine Fitz-Gerald bart. are chief landowners. The soil near the sea is chiefly killas, and is extremely productive, while on the higher side it is light with granite beneath. The chief crops are vegetables for the London and other markets; potatoes and broccoli are grown on the lower ground, a large portion of the higher being in dairy farm; a little wheat, with oats barley and roots, are grown. The area is 4,547 acres (190 of which are water); rateable value, £7,533; and the population in 1881 was 1,623.

Ding-Dong mine, in this parish, is one of the oldest in Cornwall, but ceased working in 1880.

Parish Clerk, Samuel Rodda Roberts

Post Office, Trevarrack—Thomas Bond Tredrea, receiver. Letters through Penzance arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 2.45 p.m. Penzance is the nearest money order and telegraph office

Post Office, New Mill.—Charles Osborne, receiver. Letters received at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched 1.30 p.m.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871, with Madron contributory with 1 member; T. Cornish, Penzance, clerk to the board

Board School, Gulval Cross, William George Austen, master; Mrs. Austen, mistress

Carfury School, James Barkell, master; Miss Julia Barkell, mistress

The schools are supported by government grant, board rates, & school fees

Police Inspector (of the Penwith western division), Henry James James, Chyandour


Bolitho Mrs. T. B. Trevayler

Bolitho Richard Foster, Ponsandane

Bolitho William, jun. J.P. Ponsandane

Grenfell George Pascoe, Chyenhall

James Frank Hendy, Burlawenna

Molesworth Sir Paul William M.A., J.P. bart, Kenegie

Roberts William, Gulval cross

White Mrs. Chyandour

Whitehurst Edwd. Chapel, Church town

Wingfield Rev. William Wriothesley BA. [vicar], Vicarage


Barnes Joseph, farmer, Punjou

Berriman John, farmer, Gear farm

Brush Henry, farmer, Tredinnick

Carman Rd. Withiell, farmer, Besoljack

Clarke Joseph, farmer, Besoljack

Corin Benj. Carne, farmer, Gulval farm

Corin William Carne, carpenter

Craze Francis & Son, farmers, Kenegie

Eddy Jas. & Edwin, shoe mas. Trythogga

Edwards Francis, carrier, Trythogga

Foss Jane (Mrs.), grocer

Friggens Charles, farmer, Bosulval

Friggens James (Mrs.), farmer, Trezelah

Friggens Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Trezelah

Friggens Wm. Glover, farmer, Bosulval

Jeffrey William, farmer & market gardener, Boscrowan

Jelbert James, wheelwright, Ridgeovan

Jelbert William, farmer, Trythall

Jelbert Wm. Hy. blacksmith, Gulval cross

Lawrey Stephen & Edwin, market gardeners, Hallnoweth

Liddell Joshua & John, ice works

Lutey Richard, farmer, Carfury

Martin Christopher, farmer, Higher Chysauster

Nicholls Jas. farmer, Lower Chysauster

Nicholls John, farmer, Trye

Noy James, farmer, Trythall

Noy Thomas, farmer & assistant overseer, Trythall

Noy Thomas, farmer, Bosallack

Osborne Charles, grocer, draper, & post office, New mill

Paul John Payne, farmer, Trythall

Pedrick James, farmer, Rosemorran

Pengelly Richd. farmer, Lower Crankan

Roberts John & Son, farmers, Hellengove

Roberts John, Old Inn, Church town

Rodda William, shopkeeper & carpenter, Trythogga

Rowe James, farmer, Trye

Rowe John, Three Tuns hotel, & aërated water manufacturer, Chyandour

Rowe Richard, farmer, Trye

Stephens Andrew, carpenter,Carfury

Stone John, farmer & blacksmith, New Mill

Thomas John & Son, market gardeners & farmers, Ridgeovan

Thomas Richard, market gardener & farmer, Tolverth

Thomas Robert, market gardener & farmer, Punjou

Tregoning Alfred, farmer, Church town

Tregoning Hy. blacksmith, Church town

Tregoning James, farmer, Church town

Trembath James, farmer, Carnequidden & Boscrege

Tripcony John, miller (water), Trythogga mill

Uren Rd. Hy. farmer, Higher Boscrowan

Uren William, farmer, Church town

White Nicholas, jun. blacksmith, Chyandour

Williams John, farmer, Little Rosemorran

Williams Joseph, farmer, Bosuval

Woolcock Thomas, farmer, Resoon


Tripcony Mrs

Britland John, farmer

Roberts James Henwood, farmer

Tamblyn William Hy. baker & shopkpr

Tredrea Thomas Bond, builder, grocer & post office

More about Gulval

More from Kelly’s 1883