- “Online Parish Clerk”
- Protestation Return (1642)
- Tonkin’s Natural History of Cornwall (1739)
- Lysons’ History & Topography (1814)
- The Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)
- Kelly’s Directory (1856)
- Lake’s Parochial History (1868)
- Kelly’s Directory (1873)
- Kelly’s Directory (1883)
- Kelly’s Directory (1893)
- Detailed map of the parish (25K)
- The Parish in Context (44K)
- Picture Gallery
- Baptism Registers (Transcript 1840–1905)
- Marriage Registers (Transcript 1837–1905)
- Burial Registers (Transcript 1813–1905)
- Monumental Inscriptions
- Methodist Chapels
- Census 1841
The church is dedicated to St. Briget (Birgitta) of Sweden and Morwenna.
With the current boundaries the area is now 1,270 acres plus 1 acre of water and 14 of foreshore [ GENUKI 1997]. Posue measured it at 1,226 acres in 1868. The population of Morvah has varied considerably over the years, increasing and declining with the mining fortunes. It must now be one of the smallest parishes in the country. In 1817 there were just 57 houses, there are presumably fewer now.
The later figures were obtained from from the Country Socio-Economic Statistics of Morvah civil parish.
A new (Jan 2001) initiative that has started in Cornwall is the Online Parish Clerk. One person is encouraged from the CORNISH-L or CORNISH-GEN-L mailing list to be the custodian of historical records, including transcripts of registers, for each parish and will supply extracts to researchers as they need them. This person may be geographically distant from the parish, but their heart will be there. The volunteer for Morvah is and she welcomes contacts by e-mail. Also visit The Morvah Page maintained by Kathie where you will find parish registers, protestation returns, hearth tax (the first online for West Penwith) and other important transcripts.
Morvah Action for the Community & Arts are a charity that is renovating the Schoolhouse as a gallery and community space. Their web iste has a lot of local information.
See also the general West Penwith Links.
The following description is lifted directly from [Lysons 1814]. It must be read in the context of that date.
Morvah, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Penwith, lies about seven miles west-south-west from St. Ives, and about six north-west from Penzance, which is the post-office town. The principal village in this parish is Tregaminian.
The manor of Carvolghe or Carvaghe, in the parishes of Morvah and St. Ives was formerly in the family of Tregian: is was seized by the Crown on the attainder of Francis Tregian, granted to Cary Lord Hunsdon, repurchased by Tregian, and sold to Grosse: we cannot learn who is the proprietor of this estate. The barton of Tregaminian, which was, for several generations, in the Lanyons, and the seat of a younger branch of that family, was purchased, in the reign of Queen Anne, by John Borlase, Esq., of Pendeen: it is now a farm-house, the property of the son of a descendant of the same name.
Morvah, although a separate parish, is a daughter-church to Madron, and included in the same presentation. There are the remains of an ancient chapel at Tregaminian, and a well called the chapel-well.
Additions and Corrections
The great tithes of this parish belong to W. J. G. Nicholls, Esq.
The following is from [Lewis 1831] and must be read in the context of that date.
MORVAH, a parish in the hundred of Penwith county of Cornwall, 6 miles (N.W.) from Penzance, containing 325 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Madron, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and Diocese of Exeter. The church has lately received an addition of two hundred and ninety-two free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £250 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is bounded on the north by St. George’s channel. At Tregaminian are the remains of an ancient chapel; and Castle Clum [sic.], in the neighbourhood, is the most regular Danish fortification in the country.