PENDEEN is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Jan. 9th, 1846, from the parish of St. Just-in-Penwith, on the extreme west coast, 3 miles north from St. Just and 7 north-west of Penzance, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, petty sessional division of Penwith West, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1852 from the designs and under the superintendence of the Rev. Robert Aitken, at a cost of about £2,000, the greater part of the work being voluntarily executed by the villagers, is a cruciform building of granite in the Early English style, modelled on the plan of the ancient cathedral of Iona, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there are 20 windows in the church, all of which are stained: on the north side of the chancel is a handsome marble tablet to the children and grandchildren of the late Rev. Robert Aitken, a former vicar: In 1889 the tower was heightened four feet to receive a clock with four dials and a bell, at a cost of £230: a memorial brass has been placed in the floor of the chancel within the communion rails to the Rev.Robert Aitken: the church contains 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, chiefly derived from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £300, in the gift of the Rev. W. Hay M. H. Aitken M.A. and other trustees, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Henry Boyden B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1830, and seating 500 persons; and Bible Christian and Free Methodist chapels. The Laraut [Levant?] tin and copper mines are situated in this parish. The Rev. William Borlase D.C.L., F.R.S. author of the “Natural History and Antiquities of Cornwall,” was born at the old manor house of Pendeen, February 2nd, 1695; he was vicar of Ludgvan from 1732 and died there 31st August, 1772. The principal landowners are Viscount Falmouth, the Misses Borlase of Castle Horneck, Penzance, Mrs. Scobell and Thomas Robyns esq. The population in 1891 was 2,281.

Parish Clerk, James Hosking.

Post & M.O.O., [Money Order Office] S.B. [Savings Bank] & Annuity & Insurance Office.—Edward White, sub-postmaster. Letters through St. Just R.S.O. [Railway Sub Office] arrive at 10.25 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.; dispatched 7.30 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. St. Just is the nearest telegraph office. There is no sunday post

Post Office, Bojewyan.—Richard White, sub-postmaster. Letters through St. Just R.S.O. arrive at 11 a.m. & 6.45 p.m.; dispatched 7.30 a.m. & 2.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at St. Just. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

Wall Letter Box, Trewellard, cleared at 7.35 a.m. & 2.25 p.m

Coast Guard & Rocket Station:—There are six men & one officer


Board, Carnyorth (mixed), under the St. Just School Board, built in 1893, at a cost of £2,075, for 200 children; Richd. Nicholas, master

Board (mixed & infants), built in 1852 & taken over by St. Just School Board in 1875; it will hold 300 children; average attendance, 87 boys, 88 girls & 120 infants; Thomas Tregurtha Williams, master; Miss Diana Cotton, girls’ mistress; Miss Elizabeth Gasson [Glasson?], infants’ mistress

Omnibuses to Penzance.—Richard Warren & James Henry Williams, daily at 10 a.m.; returning from Penzance at 6 p.m

Boyden Rev. Henry B.A. [vicar]

Quick Richard, Trewellard

Trezise Mrs. Trewellard house

White Richard, Trewellard


Angwin Benj. shopkeeper, Botallack

Bennetts Wm. shoe maker, Boscawell

Boase Peter, farmer & carman, Carnyorth

Bolitho Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Carnyorth

Bolitho William, farmer, Carnyorth

Casley George, farmer, Carranack

Chellew Richard, farmer, Keigwin

Coastguard & Rocket Station (William Hy. Sheppard1, chief officer)

Dennis Richard, farmer, Bojewyan

Eddy James, shoe maker, Carnyorth

Eddy Richard, shoe maker, Trewellard

Eddy Thomas, shoe maker, Boscaswell

Eddy William, farmer, Boscaswell

Edwards Edward, North inn

Edwards Martin, farmer, Bojewyan

Edwards Matthew, grocer, Boscaswell

Ellis James, farmer, Boscaswell

Gartrell Richard, farmer, Keigwin

Grenfell Thos. beer retailer, Trewellard

Green Catherine (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Bojewyan

Guy John, farmer, Pendeen farm

Hall Samuel, farmer, Bojewyan

Hosking Uter, wheelwright, Trewellard

James Arthur Hodge, farmer & purser of the Botallack mine, Botallack

James Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Trewellard

Johns Richard, farmer, Trewellard

Jordan John Sampson, crpntr, Boscaswll

Leggo John, smith, Trewellard

Levant Mine (tin & copper) (Richard White, purser), Trewellard

Maddern William, Boscaswell inn

Noake Edwin Tolbort, grocer, draper, ironmonger & general outfitting establishment. Trewellard & Boscaswell

North Levant Mine (Richard White, purser), Trewellard

North Richard, smith

Oats William, shopkeeper, The Square

Olds James, butcher, Boscaswell

Olds Jas. jun. butcher, Boscaswell

Olds Peter, butcher, Trewellard

Pearce John, grocer, Trewellard

Penrose William, farmer, Bojewyan

Roberts Margt. (Mrs.), frmr. Bojewyan

Rodda Joseph Shakerley, grocer & draper, Boscaswell

Rowe Samuel, boot maker, Trewellard

Semmens James, farmer, Trewellard

Skewes James, Queens Arms P.H.

Sheppard William Henry1, chief officer of the coast guard, Pendeen Point

Thomas Henry, shopkpr. Portheras cross

Trembath Madron, mine agent

Trembath Thomas, farmer, Bojewyan

Trezise John, grocer, Trewellard

Warren James, shopkeeper, Trewellard

Warren Nicholas, farmer, Portheras

Warren Nicholas, jun. farmer, Chyrose

Warren Rd. grcr. & bus prop. Trewellard

Warren Thomas, farmer, Carlartha

Wearne Hugh Wilcock, frmr. Boscaswell

White John Thomas, farmer, Bojewyan

White Nathan, mine agent, Trewellard

White Nicholas, farmer, Trewellard

White Richard, grocer & draper, Post office, Bojewyan

White Richard, purser of Levant mines, Trewellard

White Edward, postmaster & school attendance officer for Morvah

Williams Richard, farmer, Portheras

Williams Jas. Henry, bus prop. Trewellrd

Williams William, farmer, Trewellard

1 A descendent reports that his name was really George Henry Sheppard.

More about St. Just in Penwith

More from Kelly’s 1893