TOWEDNACK is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Penzance, 2 miles south-west from St. Ives, in the western division, Penwith Hundred, Penzance Union, Penwith deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry and Exeter bishopric. The church is an old stone building, with square tower containing 3 bells; in the church are nave, two aisles, chancel, transept, font, and a few mural monuments. The living is a donative annexed to the vicarage of Lelant Uny, and of the joint annual value £441; the Rev. Uriah Tonkin, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Marshall Spink, of St. Ives, is the curate. There are four chapels for Wesleyans, and one for Teetotal Methodists. A fair is held on the nearest Tuesday to 26th September yearly, for cattle. The population, in 1851, was 1,057, and the acreage is 2794. The soil is killas; the subsoil is granite. The Duke of Cleveland and William Batten Praed, Esq., of Lelant, are lords of the manor, and chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat and barley. Wheal Consol’s mine is in this parish.


Berryman Richard, farmer, Bollena

Cardew Nicholas, farmer

Care Thomas, farmer, Breja

Curnow Robert, Engine inn

Dunston Jane (Mrs.), New inn

Green John, parish clerk & schlmaster

Hollow Matthew, farmer, Trevege

Hollow William, farmer, Trevege

Michell Robert, farmer, Chypons

Michell Samuel, farmer, Chypons

Mitchell John, carpenter

Quick John, James & William, farmers, Bussow

Quick James, farmer, Trevega

Quick Matthew, farmer, Trevega

Quick Robert, farmer, Trevega

Quick William, farmer, Bussow

Reynolds Thomas, farmer, Trevida

Richards Solomon & Samuel, farmers

Rosewall Andrew, farmer, Low. Bussow

Rosewall Wm. farmer, Lower Bussow

Stevens Vivian, farmer, Trevida

Thomas George, farmer, Trevega

Trewhella John, farmer, Amelveor

Trewhella Martin, farmer, Amelveor

Trewhella Matthew, farmer, Amelveor

White John, smith

  Letters throug St. Ives, which is the nearest money order office

More about Towednack

More from Kelly’s 1856