More about Towednack
The following is from [Kelly 1873] and must be read in the context of that date.
This was posted to CORNISH-L on 8 Nov 2000 - thanks to Suezan.
TOWEDNACK Is a parish within the parliamentary borough of St Ives, 6 miles north-east from Penzance, 2.5 south-west from St-Ives, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance Union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter Diocese.
The church of St Twinnock is an old building, which was restored and re-seated in 1870: it consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, and porch with a low square embattled tower containing 3 bells; there is a curiously carved font, which bears the date 1720: the seats are free, and provide accommodation for nearly 200 persons.
The register dates from the year 1720. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Uny Lelant, and of the joint yearly value of £441, with a residence and small glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter, and held by the Rev. Richard Frederick TYACKE M.A. the Rev. Nathaniel BOLINGBROKE B.A. of Queens College, Cambridge, is the resident curate. A house and field are given by the Hon. Mrs GILBERT for the curate. There are four chapels for Wesleyans, and one for Teetotal Methodists. There is also a school for both sexes, which is supported by the Hon. Mrs GILBERT, Government grant and school pence. Rosewall Hill and Ransom United Tin Mine is in this parish, and there is an ancient intrenchment called Tre-Crag-an, also on the border of the parish. Adjoining Ludgvan is an extensive china clay work and quarry, which belong to Mr Baker AMALVEOR, now a farm house, was anciently the seat of the HINGESTONS. The Duke of CLEVELAND, the Hon Mrs GILBERT, and William Batten PRAED esq. of Lelant are owners of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is killas; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3,035 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,761; rateable value, £2,483; and the population in 1871 was 849.
Parish Clerk Joseph W TYACKE
Letters through Penzance. St.Ives is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
There is a letter box at Nancledrea, which is cleared at 12.30 pm School Henry WILCOCK Master Mrs WILCOCK Mistress.
Rev BOLINGBROKE B.A. Curate Amalabrea
Mrs Elizabeth BAILEY Shopkeeper,
John and William BERRIMAN farmer, Embla
James BERRIMAN beer retailer, Nancledra
Richard BERRIMAN, farmer, Bollena
Matthew CARE blacksmith, Criple'sease
Matthew CARE farmer, Trevega
William CARE farmer, Breja
Jacob CURNOW farmer, Amalabrea
John CURNOW farmer, Chylason
Peter CURNOW, farmer, Penderleath
Robert CURNOW Engine Inn
Hugh DUNSTAN New Inn
Thomas EDDY shoemaker, Nancledra
Francis EDWARDS farmer, Trevega
John GREEN Schoolmaster, Chypons
William Henry HOSKIN Mason
Mrs Ann HOSKING beer retailer, Criple's Ease
John MARTIN farmer, Embla
Mrs Jane MICHELL & William farmers, Chypons
John MITCHELL carpenter, Nancledra
John MITCHELL farmer, Chytodden
Robert and Paul QUICK farmers, Beagletubben
James QUICK farmer, Trevega
Matthew QUICK farmer, Bussow
Matthew QUICK farmer, Trevega
Robert QUICK farmer, Trevega
Matthew and Robert ROACH farmer, Amalwidden
Henry ROACH mason, Concord Downs
Henry ROACH mason, Nancledra
Robert ROACH grocer, Nancledra
Rosewall Hill Tin Mine, William BUGLEHOLE Manager
James ROSEWALL farmer, Bussow
John TREWHELLA farmer, Amalabrea
Richard WEARNE farmer, Bussow
John WHITE blacksmith, Nancledrea
John WHITE miller, Nancledrea
W H WILLIAMS farmer, Skillywadden
More about Towednack