The best known ancient British and pre-historic sites in the area are listed here with their locations. I haven't put up many pictures as the Web has hundreds of examples of this very popular subject.
- Lysons’ History & Topography (1814)
- Two days in Cornwall with the Cambrian Archæological Association (1862)
- Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society (1880-99)
A small selection of useful sources for further information (and photos) are …
- Ernest Black has a keen interest in Standing Stones with some very fine photographs.
- Andy Burnham has a page of Ancient Sites in Cornwall.
- English Heritage have three or four ancient sites in the area but the web site is not very helpful. Try this unofficial Cornwall web site.
- Megalithia by Richard Mudhar has a page devoted to Cornwall.
- Stone Pages is a very comprehensive source.
- Chris Tweed's Ancient Sites Directory is often quoted.
- The Cornwall Heritage Trust own Sancreed Beacon and Tregiffian Barrow and have pages about them.
- Alan Bain’s Antiquities of the Land’s End District (Link broken Sep 2005)
- Ballowall, St. Just (map ref. 354313)—Burial Chamber English Heritage site managed by the National Trust.
- Boleigh, St. Buryan (map ref. 437252)—Fogou (earth house)
- Boscawen-Un (map ref. 412274)—Standing stone circle
- Carn Euny Settlement, Sancreed (map ref. 402289)—Ancient village, English Heritage site
- Carne Gloose (Gluze), St. Just (map ref. 355312)—Burial chamber
- Castle An Dinas, Ludgvan (map ref. 485350)—Hill fort
- Chapel Euny, Sancreed (map ref 401282)—Chambered cairn
- Chun Castle, Morvah (map ref. 402339)—Hill fort
- Chun Quoit, Morvah (map ref. 401339)—Burial chamber
- Chysauster, Zennor (map ref. 472350)—Ancient village, hut circles. English Heritage site.
- Lanyon Quoit, Madron (map ref. 430337)—Burial chamber Picture
- Men-An-Tol, Morvah (map ref. 426349)—Holed stone
- Men Scryfa, Morvah (map ref. 427353)—Standing (inscribed) stone
- Merry Maidens, St. Buryan (map ref. 433245)—Standing stone circle
- Nine Maidens or Boskednan, Zennor (map ref. 436351)—Standing stone circle
- The Pipers, St. Buryan (map ref. 435248)—Standing stones
- Sancreed Beacon is owned by Cornwall Heritage Trust.
- Tregaseal, St. Just (map ref. 387324)—Standing stone circle
- Tregiffian, St. Buryan (map ref 430244)—Burial chamber, English Heritage site but Cornwall Heritage Trust also lays claim to it!
- Zennor Quoit, Zennor (map ref. 469380)—Burial chamber