This is not a guide to places to stay, eat or
One of the problems that will be observed with the location of
Penzance Public Houses and Hotels is not that the buildings kept
moving but that the names of the streets changed.
- Abbey Hotel Abbey Slip
c1980— Michael Cox & Jean Shrimpton. On the site of a
C12 abbey (the garden survives), the house dates from 1660.
More recently it was a rest home for elderly ladies.
- Admiral Benbow Chapel Street
(Benbow lived 1650–1702 and was a national hero, but not
a Cornishman. There is a smuggler’s lookout on the roof).
1976 Mr. Morris (“over 400 years old, an authentic
Cornish beer house”). 1978 (“recently
licenced”). (now a restaurant)
- Albert Tavern 1 East Terrace, Market
Jew Street. 1873 Thomas James. Albert
Vaults 1883 Christopher Ellis. 3 East Terrace
1891 & 1893 Charles Frederick Truscott. The address seems
to be interchangable with the “One and All” but
both existed at the same time.
- Alexandra Private Hotel This was named, or
at least the road was, after Queen Alexandra, wife of Edward
VII and daughter of King Christian IX Denmark). 1947. 1955.
1963. Alexandra Inn Alexandra Road.
- Anchor Coinage Hall Street. 1856
- Anchor & Hope Alverton
Street. 1856 William Birch. (this was a home-brew pub in
1876 “occupied by Edgcumbe”). (gone in 1978)
- Bath Inn Cornwall Terrace,
Promenade (Named after the salt water spa which opened in
1810). 1955 Arthur Wheeler (“late Wolverhampton”).
Old Bath Inn 1999–2000.
- Belle Vue Private Hotel Regent
Terrace. 1955. 1963.
- Betty’s Inn Neddy Betty’s
Lane, later Albert Street off Market Jew Street. Before
1825 Edward Betty. Thatched. “At this house the
corporation in former times occasionally refreshed
- Blue Bell. Causewayhead in the building which later became Thomes fruit shop [thanks to Terence Pollard].
- British Grenadier Market Jew
Street. 1856 James Vine.
- Bunch of Grapes Causewayhead.
1873 Mrs. E. Williams (in 1891, Emma Williams is a retired
innkeeper at 10, High street). 7 North Street 1883
Benjamin Libby. Clarence 1891 & 1893
William Julian. 1908 Clarence Hotel closed
under Licensing Acts (Saundry
- Carlton Private Hotel Esplanade.
1947. 1955. Carlton Hotel Promenade.
- Carrier’s Arms.
- Castle Hotel 1891 Thomas Brennan. 1927
closed under Licensing Acts (Saundry 1931).
- Central Hotel Market Jew Street.
1919 John Harding. 1928 J. S. Richards
- Coachsmith’s Arms.
- Commins’ House “In August 1783
John Commins, a Penzance brazier, plumber and tin-man, declared
the opening of his house in the centre of the town ‘for
the reception of the nobility and gentlemen in general’
he had erected ‘a convenient bathing machine’
” (Douch 1966).
Common’s Hotel Market Place.
Kevill’s Hotel Before 1801 Mary Kevill
(see Ship & Castle) “At the west side stood what was
at one time Common’s Hotel, the hotel of the town; but
before my coming to Penzance [in 1825] it had been converted
into two shops. There was a level platform in front of this
building, terminating towards Chapel Street in a flight of
steps: on this platform the gentlemen and tradesmen of the town
used to meet and discuss the news. While occupied as the hotel,
the band of the old volunteer corps played in front of it. At
one time this was the mansion of the Tremenheeres”
- Cornish Arms East Street. 1823
Nic. Richards. Market Jew Street. 1830 Nicholas
Richards. East Street. 1844 Henry James. 1856 William
Fox. Fifteen Balls 45 Market Jew
Street. 1873 J. H. Seccombe. 1883 Thomas Henry Woods.
Cornish Arms 1891 William H. Eddy. 1893 &
1919 Mrs. Elizabeth Eddy. 1947 Mr. & Mrs. J. A. Ward.
- Crown & Cushion. 1772 John
- Dingley’s Private & Family Hotel
Beachfield House, Esplanade. 1873 Mrs. Eliza Dingley.
1883 Miss Mary Dingley. Beachfield Private
Hotel Promenade. 1963.
- Dock 9 Jennings St. 1891 Joseph
- Dock Inn 17 Quay Street. 1891
Elizabeth Jane Sampson. 1893 George Martin. 1919 George
- Dolphin Quay (This is a
C17th. building where Hawkins made his headquarters
while he trained the Cornish volunteers for battle against the
Spanish. Courts were held here until the
C19th..There is a smuggler’s secret room in
roof of this inn. In 1802 it was one of the first houses to
have a billiard table). Kept for many years until Feb. 1814 by
William Treluddra who was succeeded by William Holmes, a
shipwright.1823 Rd. Holmes. Quay Street. 1830 Richard
Holmes. Quay. 1844 & 1856 William Pascoe. Old
Quay 1873 Edward Chirgwin. Dolphin Tavern
14 Quay Street. 1883 John Thomas Bray. Dolphin
Inn 1891 & 1893 James Tyacke. Dolphin
Hotel 1919 Ethan Ball. Dolphin
Tavern/Inn 1978. 1999–2000.
- Duke of Cumberland North Street.
Built c1822. 1823 Wm. James. Duke of
Northumberland (I think this may be a misprint) 1830
William James. Duke of Cumberland 1844 John
Pollard. 1856 William Matthews. 70 Causeway Head.
1873, 1883, 1891 & 1893 John Hutchens. 1919 Alfred Frost.
1930–1940s Mr. Elis.
Inn 1 Alverton Street. 1864 John French.
- Estoril Private Hotel Morrab
- Exeter Inn Causewayhead. 1836
John Thomas—briefly renamed Royal Mermaid
- Farmer’s Arms North Street.
1823 & 1830 William Trythal. 1844 Anthony Jeffery. 1856
Mrs. Esther Curnow. 38 Causeway Head. 1872 John
Hutchens left (see The Wellington, St. Just) 1873 & 1883
Jacob Curnow Weymouth Corin. 1891 & 1893 John Mi(t)chell.
1919 Wm. Griffiths. c1945 Ernest Eathorne. 2000.
Engine Green Market. “On the south side
stands the one house which has not changed since
1825,—the Commercial, formerly the Fire Engine Inn. This
inn was not called after the engine employed to put out fires,
but after the steam engines used in mines, which were at first
commonly called fire engines” (Courtney 1878). 1823 Eliz. Bodily.
1830 Dinah Bodilly. 1844 Richd. Bodilly. Engine
Inn 1856 Richard Bodilly. Commercial
Hotel 1873, 1883 & 1891 John French. White
Lion 1893 & 1919 Pool & Son. (also
wholesalers—see also Union Inn, Newlyn). Market
- First & Last 24 Alverton
Street. 1873 Samuel Young Dale. 1883 & 1891 Richard
Pryor. 1893 James Terrill. First & Last
- Flanagans Station. 1999.
- Fountain North Street. 1837 Simon
Chellew. 1844 William Wills. 1856 Thomas White.
Fountain Tavern St. Clare Street.
1873 James Glasson. 1883, 1891 & 1893 William Henry
Trevena. 1919 Mrs. Elizabeth Wills.
- Four Alls. Early C19th.
“the sign, painted by Mr. Richard Coulson, represented
four figures—The King – I govern all: The Parson
– I pray for all: The Soldier – I fight for all,
and John Bull – I pay for all” (Douch 1966).
- Garland Ox. Licence renewal refused to
Michael Donnithorne in Sept. 1869.
- Globe Queen Street. “The
Globe Inn at the corner of this square and New Road, a very old
licensed house, had at the beginning of this century railings
at the front and side” (Courtney 1878). 1830 William Cock.
Chapel Street. 1844 Martin Williams. Queen’s
Square 1856 John Wallish. 1873 Charles Rusden.
Globe Family & Commercial Hotel Market
Place. 1883 John Michell Martin. Globe
Hotel 1 Queen Street. 1893 David Eddy.
Globe & Ale House 1999–2000.
- Godolphin Arms West End
(Godolphin was the family name of the Duke of Leeds). 1978.
- Golden Lion East Street. 1823
Geo. Hemmings. 34 Market Place. 1830 Jane Hemmings.
1844 Jane Pascoe. 1856 William Wills. Golden Lion
Hotel 1873 Frederick Wright Jasper (retired to 8
Clarence Street by 1891). 1883 F. C. Richardson. 1887 converted
to an outfitters shop (Saundry
1931) [and presumably rebuilt at the new address]. 21
Causeway Head 1891 Francis C. Richardson (caretaker of
unnamed hotel). Golden Lion 68 Causeway
Head. 1891 & 1893 William Roberts Pengelly. 1919 Mrs.
Annie Martin. 1927 closed under Licensing Acts (Saundry 1931). (Douch 1966) reports that this was
originally called The Old House at Home and
wasn’t renamed to the Golden Lion until rebuilding in
1887 but the directories do not support this.
- Horse & Jockey Queen Street.
1856 Thomas Hare.
- James’ Riviera Restaurant & Commercial
Hotel Green Market. 1919 R. James.
- Jubilee Inn 41 Market Jew Street
1891 Frank Bosley.
- Jug and Pipe.
- Keigwin Hotel Alexandra Road.
- King Edward VII 1912 Beerhouse closed
under Licensing Acts (Saundry
- King’s Head. This was “an old
Penzance house at which many of the borough celebrations were
given. A tradesman’s Friendly Society was formed there as
early as 1768. This had 101 members all living within three
miles of the town; members met on the first Monday of each
month at The King’s Head,
then kept by Richard Runnalls who remained landlord until his
death in 1778. He was succeeded by Robert Colenso who stayed
there thirty Years.” (Douch
1966). 1793–98 Robert Colensoe.
- Lamp & Whistle Leskinnick
- London Inn North Street.
“The London Inn and the houses as far as the ‘Duke
of Cumberland’ were only erected about 1820–1822;
they were built on an old garden bounded towards the street by
a thorn hedge, and on the site of a ruined building called by
the neighbours ‘the castle.’ The London Inn was in
1825 kept by Mr. Stephen Weaver, who was also a teacher of
music and dancing, a dealer in music and musical instruments,
was licensed to let out post horses, and contractor for
conveying prisoners to Bodmin.” (Courtney 1878). 1793–98
Alexander Gardner. 1823 Saml. Weaver. Church Street.
1830 Nicholas Uren. North Street. 1844 William Rowe.
1856 John Curnow. 75 Causeway Head. 1873 & 1883
William Matthews. 1891 & 1893 Benjamin Chas. Matthews. 1919
Henry Stanley Uren. 1999.
- Lugger Hotel & Restaurant
- Mann’s Private Hotel Alexandra
Terrace. 1919 William Mann.
- Marine Hotel Promenade. 1947.
- Marine Park Hotel Morrab Park.
- Mariner’s Inn.
- Market Inn 1927 closed under Licensing
Acts (Saundry 1931).
- Market Tavern. Sir Humphry
Davy Market Place. 1999. 32 Alverton Street.
- May’s Temperance Hotel & Boarding
House 51 Market Jew Street. 1893 May.
- St. Michael’s Private Hotel
Morrab Road. 1963.
- Miner’s Arms Church Street.
1830 Richerd Miners.
- Mount’s Bay & Western Hotel
Clarence Street. 1826 Western Hotel built (Saundry 1931). “The Western
Hotel was the first house built, the other part of the street
was not completed for more than twenty years after”
(Courtney 1878). 1830
Nicholas Henwood. 1839 James Farquharson left to go to the Red
Lion in Truro. 1844 Ann Down. Western Hotel
1856 Henry Blackwell. Western & Mount’s Bay
Family & Commercial Hotel & Posting House 1883
William Mitchell. Western & Mount’s Bay
Hotel 1891, 1893 & 1896 William Mitchell.
Western Family & Commercial Hotel 1919
Henry Champion. Western Hotel 1928 N.
Champion. 1947. Alverton Street 1963.
- Mount’s Bay House
Esplanade. 1873 & 1874 Edward Lavin. 1883 Mrs.
Georgiana Lavin. Mount’s Bay Hotel 1893
Charles Ball. 1919 Pool & Son (see also White Lion). 1928.
Mount’s Bay Inn Promenade.
- Navy Inn Queen Street.
- New Inn Quay Street. 1823 John
Phillips. 1830 William Matthews Charles. Quay. 1844
Edward Stevens. 1856 Mrs. Ann Stevens. 1873 Ferdinand Scorza.
1883 John Thomas Rule.
- Old Golden Lion Lower Market
Street. 1883 William Hodge.
- Old Smithy Inn 3 Parade Street.
- One and All Inn 3 East Terrace, Market
Jew Street. 1856 Joseph Friggen. 1873 William Friggins
(see “William IV”, Madron). 1 East Terrace
1891 William Floyd. 2000.
- Park Inn 5 parade Street. 1891
Paul’s Mount’s Bay Temperance Hotel &
Restaurant 34 & 35 The Terrace, Market Jew
Street. 1891 William H. Paul. 1893 & 1896 Mrs. Paul
(also grocer, baker & confectioner).
- Perrow’s Hotel (Temperance) 54
& 55 Chapel Street. 1891 & 1893 John Perrow.
Regent Hotel 1919 Robert Thomas. 1928. 1963.
- Peruvian Arms Mount Street.
- Pirate Inn Alverton Road (used to
be a tanner’s house, next to the tannery). 1978.
- Prince of Wales East Street. 1823
J. Edwards. Market Jew Street. 1830 John Bamfield.
East Street. 1844 David Eddy Stevens. 109 Market
Jew Street. 1856 Thomas Geach. 1873 J. Harvey. 1883 Eli
Winter. 1893 Nicholas Mulcahy. 1919 John Uren.
- Queen’s Head 7 New Street
(this pub had its own brewery in 1870). 1823 Wm. Sleep. 1830
William Hawke. 1844 Nicholas Pascoe. 1873 Richard Allen. 1893
James Hicks. 1907 closed under Licensing Acts (Saundry 1931).
Queen’s Family Hotel & Posting
House Esplanade (Named to commemorate the
visit by the Queen of Holland). “1861 Queen’s Hotel
built [presumably with a different name]. Enlarged 1871 and
1931).1873 & 1874 Henry Blackwell (“recently
greatly enlarged”). 1883 Alexander Hansard Hora. 1893
& 1896 Mrs. Emily Agnes Permewan. Queen’s
Hotel 1912. 1919 Edmund A. Saunders. 1928. 1947.
Promenade. 1963. 1978. 1999–2000.
- Railway Terminus Family & Commercial Hotel
& Posting House 55 Market Jew Street.
1856 & 1873 Alexander Rowe. 1883 Stephens & Co.
Railway Hotel 1891 Jonathan Stephens. 1893
Mrs. Maria Priske (Mgr.) 1919 Mrs. Mary Rolleston. 1976
(“over 200 years old”). Longboat
Inn 1978. 1999.
- Railway Inn 1891 William Prisk. This
existed at the same time as the hotel above so there may be
some confusion with the names.
- Riviera Palace Hotel. 1906 First licenced,
enlarged 1908, closed 1917 (Saundry 1931). 1912 (“in
connection with the Queen’s Hotel”).
- Royal Oak North Street. 1823 Jane
Hawkin. Church Street. 1830 Jane Hawken.
- Royale Hotel The Cliff.
- Seven Stars South Parade Street
(the name of this inn refers to the seven sorrows of Our Lady).
1830 William Hotton Williamson. Parade Street. 1844
William Hendy. 1856 Peter Roberts. 1883 Robert Williamson.
Seven Stars Hotel 1893 Joseph Warren.
Seven Stars Hotel 1919 Mrs. Ellen Bailey.
- Sheaf of Wheat Inn Chapel Street.
- Ship 21 Quay Street. 1823 &
1830 James Nicholas. 1844 Nicholas Paul. Ship
Inn 1856 James Pool. 1883 John Bennetts. 1891 John
Davis (there was another inn at 22 Quay street run by Robert
Lashbrook). 1893 Edgar Wingate. 1910 closed under Licensing
Acts (Saundry 1931).
- Ship & Castle Chapel Street.
“Samuel Bennetts presided here for some twenty-five years
until in December 1771 it was taken by James Harrison from
The Queen’s Head in Marazion.
Harrison was replaced in March 1775 by John Stone who entered
with ‘beds entirely new’. Stone gave up through
ill-health in March 1786. Francis Rogers from The White Hart in Plymouth took the house in
June but Stone was back in again by 1792 and his widow
Elizabeth in 1794. In March 1801 Mary Kevill moved from what
had been Commins’ and then
Kevill’s Hotel to the
Ship and Castle which in future is
to be distinguished by the name of The Union
Hotel. The older name was then attached to other
premises. In June 1789 ‘a convenient distance’ from
the Ship and Castle in Penzance was another ‘most
commodious bathing-house’ ” (Douch 1966). “1791 Assembly
Room, Union Hotel, built by private
1931). 1793–98 Elizabeth Stone. 1823 W. Pearce.
“In 1825 the Union Hotel, originally the house of the
Hitchens family, of Poltair, was the hotel of the town”
(Courtney 1878). 1830
Clark. Union Commercial & Family Hotel
1844 & 1856 William Ball. Union Family &
Commercial Hotel & Posting House 1883 Misses M. A.
& M. Longhurst. Union Family Hotel 1891
& 1893 George Fowler. Fowler’s Union
Hotel. Union Commercial & Family
Hotel 1919 Miss A. Jago (Mgr.) Union
Hotel 1928. 1947. 1963. 1999. Union &
Western Hotels 2000. This inn has a minstral’s
gallery from which was proclaimed the death of Lord Nelson, the
first in England to hear the news.
& Castle East Street See above for an
earlier premises of the same name. 1823 Rd. Oates. “There
was another [balcony] at one time in Market-jew Street in front
of the ‘Ship and Castle,’ but this had gone before
I came to Penzance … In 1825 the Wesleyan Quarterly
Meetings were held in this hotel, and the preachers often dined
1878). 1830 William Farquharson (see Three Tuns). 1844
Samuel Morris. 114 Market Jew Street. 1856 Miss. Mary
Ann Morris. 1864 Christopher Martin. 1883 David Eddy.
Castle Hotel 1893 Thomas Brennan. 1919 Ernest
- Shoulder of Mutton Green Market.
“At the north-west corner [in 1825] was the Shoulder of
Mutton Inn, an extremely low thatched house … On some
market-days the space at the west end was filled with
earthenware, offered for sale by travelling dealers from the
potteries; these men usually stopped at the ‘Shoulder of
Mutton.’ ” (Courtney 1878). It adjoined the
notorious prison of the Hundred of Connerton and was the inn
favoured by the travelers in clone [clome?] and pottery wares
(Douch 1966). 1823 & 1830
Alice Richards. Alverton Street. 1844 Thomas Richards.
- Sportsman Heamoor (Cock fights
were held outside on the lawn in the early C19th.).
1978. Sportsman’s Arms 1999
- Stanmore Private Hotel Alexandra
- Talbert Hotel Clarence Street
2003 “The Hotel is part of a Georgian Terrace of houses
which were originally built in 1830 by Harrods Investment
Corporation as homes for the Merchant Sea Captains who sailed
the world in search of exotic goods for Harrod’s
discerning clientele. The original owner, Ralph Sheldon Kindly
was lost at sea in his quest for such treasures.”
Hotel East Street. 1793–98 William
Husband. 1823 Frs. Vigurs. Star 119 Market
Jew Street. 1830 Wm. Hawes. East Street. 1844
& 1856 Thomas Pool. Star Hotel “A
short distance up the street was the old portico or balcony of
the Star Hotel, under which there were generally to be found
two or three people gossiping: this balcony was removed about
1860 … A show or two frequently used to establish
themselves opposite” (Courtney 1878). 1883 William
Lawrey. 1891 & 1893 William Henry Tamblyn. Star
Family & Commercial Hotel 1919 William Tamblyn.
1955 J. P. Wilson. 1963. Star Inn
- Temperance Hotel Prince’s
Street. 1844 Edward Thomas. In 1852, the first meetings of
the School of Art were held here. 1864 Mrs. Matthews. 1891
Annie Matthews. Temperance House 1893 James
Opie. Temperance Hotel 1919 Mrs. James
- Temperance Hotel 6 Albert Street.
1891 & 1893 Mrs. Jane Trewern.
- Temperance Hotel 4 Leskinnick
Street. 1891 Mary Griffith. 1919 Mrs. Kate Sampson. These
three all existed about the same time so there may be some
confusion with the names.
Tuns Green Market. 1823 Wm. Farquharson (see
Ship & Castle). 1830 Eliz. Farquharson. “Next came
the Three Tuns Inn, a long low house with a balcony over the
entrance; this was torn down about 1831” (Courtney 1878). Three Tuns
Commercial & Family Hotel 1844 & 1856 George
Hemming(s). Three Tuns 1864 John C. James.
1867 discontinued (Saundry
- Tradesman’s Arms. Lost its licence
in 1889 after having had five landlords in three years
- Trehurst Private Hotel Alexandra
Road. 1947. 1955. This may be the same as the
Treriss 1891 George Poole. All the houses in
Alexandra Road were named in this census.
- Turks Head 48 Chapel Street
(reputedly Penzance’s oldest pub). 1771 Mitchel (a
concert was advertised in Sept. 1771 to be held in
Michell’s Long Room behind the Turk’s Head). 1823
Thomas Holloway (father of founder of the Royal Holloway
college for women in London). 1830 Robt. Hamilton. 1844 &
1856 Mrs. Sarah Just. 1883 Johnson Glanville. 1893 Henry
Benson. 1919 Mrs. Ann Uren. Turks Head Inn
1955. 1978. 1999–2000.
- Two Tubs.
- Union Inn 1927 closed under Licensing Acts
- Victoria Inn.
Victoria Square, Bread Street 1891 Beer Shop, William
H. Uren. Crown. 1999. Old Vic
- Victoria Inn. Market Jew Street Nicknamed The hole in the wall Closed Feb 1972, now a shop [Terence Pollard].
- White Hart Inn 14 Mount Street
1891 Richard Nicks. 2000.
- Willows Private Hotel Cornwall
- Winters Private Hotel 107, 109 &
110 Market Jew Street. 1891 Eli Winter. Before 1923
Winters sisters (Eveline, CLara, Maggie & Mabel).
Cliff Hotel. 1923–36 William Richard
Warren. 1936–63 Eliza Warren (widow of William).
1963— Mrs. Rodda (daughter of Eliza—all information
from Stephen Rodda, her son). 1999 “run by the same
Cornish family for over 75 years.”
- Yacht Inn Promenade, Green
Street. 1963. 1999–2000.
In addition, the following are included in the 1793–1798
Universal British Directory without premises names either as
innkeepers, taverners or victualers:— Richard Bramwell,
Thomas Broad, John Heath, Henry Matthews, John Matthews, Joseph
Mitchell, William Mitchell, Susanna Phillips, John Prian, James
Reed, Sampson Reynolds, Nicholas Reynolds, Richard Videley &
In the 1891 census there is a William Friggens, retired
publican in No. 3, Leskinnick Street. This is not the one from
the “William IV” Madron who was still in residence
but is possibly the one from the “One and All” above
as they were different people. There is also a James Skewes,
Licenced Victualler, Jamaica Place but the house is not