The town of Penzance has its own page.
- “Online Parish Clerk”
- Hals’ History of Cornwall (c1730)
- Tonkin’s Natural History of Cornwall (1739)
- Lysons’ History & Topography (1814)
- The Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)
- Kelly’s Directory (1856)
- Blight’s Churches of West Cornwall (1864)
- Lake’s Parochial History of Cornwall (1868)
- Kelly’s Directory (1883)
- Kelly’s Directory (1893)
- Detailed Map of the Parish
- The Parish in Context (44K)
- Picture Gallery
- Baptism Registers (Transcript 1756–1888, Transcript 1889–1901)
- Marriage Registers (Transcript 1863–1903)
- Burial Registers (Transcript 1813–1902)
- Monumental Inscriptions
- Methodist Chapels (Transcript of Baptisms, Tregavara Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1892–1905)
|1831||2,058 (8,621 inc Penzance)||1931||3,167||1993||4,010|
|1841||2,441 (11,144 inc. Penzance)||1994||4,005|
|1871||2, 765 (2,977)||1971||1,280||1997||4,030|
The later figures were obtained from from the Country Socio-Economic Statistics as the sum of Heamoor and Madron civil parish.
A new (Jan 2001) initiative that has started in Cornwall is the Online Parish Clerk. One person is encouraged from the CORNISH-L or CORNISH-GEN-L mailing list to be the custodian of historical records, including transcripts of registers, for each parish and will supply extracts to researchers as they need them. This person may be geographically distant from the parish, but their heart will be there. The volunteer for Madron is and she welcomes contacts by e-mail.
Madron Parish Council have a site with a little history and some good photographs.
Madron Parish Records is run by Gwen Attridge in conjunction with the OPC above.
See also the general West Penwith Links.
This is a vicarage; the patronage in John Harris, Esq.; the incumbent Doctor Walter Borlase, LL.D. But note, that the patronage of this parish is at present in the Corporation of Penzance, carrying with it the town, and the little parish of Morvah.
The following is from [Lewis 1831] and must be read in the context of that date.
MADRON, a parish in the hundred of Penwith county of Cornwall, 2¼ miles (N.W.) from Penzance, containing, exclusively of the market town of Penzance, which is within this parish, 2011 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacies of Morva [sic.] and Penzance, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and Diocese of Exeter, rated in the King’s books at £21. 5. 10. Henry Penneck, Esq. was patron in 1812. The church, dedicated to St. Madern, is in the early style of English architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school for instructing the poor children of the parish was founded, about 1704, by Mr. George Daniel, and endowed with lands and premises, now let for about £120 per annum, besides a house and garden for the master. Here is a stone with an ancient British inscription, stating it to be a sepulchral monument to Rialobran, son of Cunoval; also the once celebrated well of St. Madern.