NEWLYN (near Penzance) is an ecclesiastical parish, formed March 3, 1848, from the parishes of Madron and St. Paul, and is on the sea coast, at the mouth of the Tolcarne stream, 1 mile south-west of Penzance, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, petty sessional division of Penwith West, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Peter, built in 1865–6 is a building of granite, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and a turret on the south side containing 1 bell: the north aisle was added in 1886, and is a memorial to the Rev. Field Richards: there are two memorial windows to the Misses Leah; the east window is also stained, and in the north aisle is a memorial window to the 1st Earl of Iddesleigh G.C.B. and in the south aisle a small memorial window to Mr. I. D. Richards, a late churcharden: the very beuatiful reredos includes a reproduction in terra-cotta of the “Last Supper,” after Leonardo da Vinci’s famous picture: the pulpit is of granite, with dressings of serpentine: there are 500 sittings. On a rock near the church is an ancient granite cross found in a field close by and placed here by the late Mr. D. LeGrice. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is a vicarage, net £180, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Norwood Perkins M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1834 and enlarged in 1866, at a total cost of £2,250, will seat upwards of 750 persons. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1835. This is the chief fishing station of Mount’s Bay, and maintains a fleet of about 400 boats, engaged in the mackerel and pilchard fisheries. Two massive granite piers partially inclose the harbour; the south pier, built in 1885, at a cost of £20,000, is 700 feet in length; at its extemity is a lighthouse belonging to the Harbour Commissioners, fitted with occulting apparatus which alternately hides and exposes the light 15 times per minute; the light is visible at a distance of 15 mles: the north or Victoria pier, built in 1888, at a cost of £12,000, and extended in 1893 at a further cost of £8,000, is 1,760 feet in length. The mouth of the harbour is 150 feet wide and the area of water inclosed during ordinary spring tides is 40 acres at high and 18 acres at low water. In 1887, 6,822,000 macerel and 213 tons of pilchards were landed here, and in 1888, 6,265,920 mackerel and 674 tons of pilchards. The total revenue of the Newlyn pier and harbour for the year ended March 25, 1889, was £1,458 and for the year ended March 25, 1893, was £1,782. Many artists are attracted here by the mildness of the climate, which permits out-door painting throughout the year and the quaint old streets and dwellings of the fishermen are very picturesque. The principal landowners are Thomas Bedford Bolitho esq. M.P. of Trewidden, Madron, William Bolitho esq. of Polwithen, Penzance, the Misses Carne, of Penzance, and Charles Day Nicholls Le Grice esq. D.L., J.P. The soil is light, resting on granite rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats and roots, with some pasturage. The area is 386 acres; the population in 1891 was 3,833.

Post, M.O. & T.O., [Money Order & Telegraph Office], S.B. [Savings Bank] & Annuity & Insurance Office.—Miss Mary Sullivan, sub-postmistress. Letters through Penzance arrive at 9 a.m. & 3.30, 6.30 & 8.30 p.m.; sunday, 9 a.m.; dispatched at 9.50 a.m. & 3, 5.50, 7 & 9.10 p.m.; sunday, 3 p.m

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.—Fore street. William Thomas Polglase, sub-postmaster. Letters through Penzance arrive 9.10 a.m. & 3.50, 6.50 & 8.45 p.m.; sunday, 9 a.m.; dispatched 9.40 a.m. & 2.50, 5.40 & 9 p.m.; sunday, 2.50 p.m

Wall Letter Box.—New road, cleared at 9.55 a.m. & 3.5, 5.55, 7.5 & 9.15 p.m.; sunday, 3.5 p.m


Paul (Newlyn) Board, built in 1880, for 385 children; average attendance, 117 boys, 113 girls & 136 infants; William Francis Osborne, master; Miss Cordelia James, girls’ mistress; Miss Mary Gazzam, infants’ mistress

Wesleyan, built in 1858, at a cost of £1,000, of which £400 was granted by Government; it will hold 370 children; average attendance, 88 boys, 81 girls & 91 infants; Henry Fleming, master; Miss Mary E. Penrose, mistress


[For remainder of names see Penzance.]

Ash Joseph Howell, Cliff house

Bone Miss, Clifton place

Bramley Frank,Belle vue

Cock Richard, Mount Vernon

Crooke John, Vivian house

Davey William Pomeroy, Gwavas villa1

Davies John, Belle vue

Davie Miss, 4 Antoine terrace

Downing Mrs. New road

Downing Simon, Clifton terrace

Fleming Henry, New road

Foster Thomas Robins, Fair view

Gordon Mrs. New road

Gotch Thomas C. The Malt house

Harris Edwin, Belle vue

Harvey Mrs. Antoine terrace

Hill Henry, Chypons villa

Hitchens Mrs. Clifton place

Hitchens Mrs. Grace, Fore street

James Mrs. Herbert villa, New road

Kelynack Mrs. Belle vue

Love Rev. Thomas Henry [Wesleyan], Wesley manse, New road

Maddern Mrs. Clifton terrace

Marrack George Matthews, Jack lane

Nation Rev. William [Primitive Methodist], Rose cottage

Nicholls Miss, Florence place, Tolcarne

Perkins Rev. Thomas Norwood M.A. Vicarage

Platt Henry, Pembroke house

Richards Mrs. Clifton place

Roberts Mrs. Paul hill

Strick William Oates, New road

Sullivan John, Fradgen

Taylor Chevalier, Park terrace

Thomas Miss, Clifton place

Todd Ralph, Clifton terrace

Trahair James, North corner

Trahair Mrs. Myrtle cottage

Willis Miss, Belle Vue terrace

Wright Mrs. Church lane

Young Oliver, Antoine house


Allard John, boat owner

Badcock Thomas, grocer

Barnes John, boat owner, St. Peter’s hl

Bath Richard Richards, ice-merchant

Bath Silas, grocer &c. Green street

Batten Alexander & Son, boat owners

Batten John, fisherman, Green street

Beckerleg Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. Fore st

Beer Phillip, apartments, Bay View ho

Blewett John, shipwright

Bodinar Joseph, builder, Prospect place

Bradbeer Benjamin Masterson, fish salesman & auctioneer, Bank place

Bramley Frank, artist, Belle vue

Broad William, basket makr. Florence pl

Carter Elizh. (Mrs.), shopkpr. Florence pl

Carter Wm. grocer &c. Street-an-Nowan

Cattern James Phillips, master mariner, Park house, New road

Chirgwin Richard & Son, grocers &c. Street-an-Nowan

Chirgwin Samuel, farmer, Coombe

Chirgwin Susan (Miss), shopkpr. Jack la

Cotton Thos. fish salesman, Church st

Curnow Thomas & James, market gardeners, Zimmerman’s cottage, Coombe

Cashway William, fish merchant, Tolcrn

Davies John, cooper, Fore street

Downing Henry (Mrs.), boat owner, Boase street

Ellis James, shopkeeper, Fore street

Glasson Edwd. rope maker, Tolcarne

Goddard Edwd. Wm. draper, Fradgen

Gotch Thomas C. artist, The Malt ho

Gulval Ice Stores (Thos. Tonkin, man)

Guy James, boot & shoe maker

Harris Edwin, artist, Belle vue

Harris William, shopkeeper, Fore street

Harvey Andrew, apartments, Cliff castle

Harvey Elizabeth (Mrs.), fish merchant

Harvey John Thomas, joiner & undertaker, St. Peter’s square

Harvey Phillip, boat owner, Vine cottage, Coombe

Harvey Richard, fish merchant, Clifton ter

Harvey Rd. Toman, hair dresser, Fore st

Harvey Thomas Keigwin, boat owner, Boase street

Harvey William Phillip, boot & shoe maker, Fore street

Hatch Edwd. market gardener, Tolcrne

Hayter John Lesson, Star inn, Wharf

Hichens John, seine owner, Green st

Hitchens Rd. coal & forage mer. Tolcrne

Hitchens Tryphena (Mrs.), draper, Garfield house

Hitchens Wm. boat owner, Penguin ho

Hicks William, grocer, Jack lane

Hooper Amelia (Miss), shopkpr. Tolcarne

Jacko Nicholas, master mariner, New rd

Kelynack Grace (Mrs.), shopkpr. Fore st

Kelynack Henry (Mrs.), boat owner

Kelynack Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Street-an-Nowan

Kelynack Richd. fish buyer, Fradgen

Kitchen Henry, shopkeepr, Boase street

Maddern Henry, apartments, Bellevue

Maddern Hy. jun. architect, New road

Maddern John, market gardener, Street-an-Nowen

Maddern Solomon, fish buyer

Maddern William, rope ma, The Bridge

Matthews Rt. mrkt. grdnr. Pembroke cot

Michell Christr. shopkeeper, The Bank

Morrish James, net barker, Florence pl

Mounts Bay Fishing Boats Mutual Insurance Club (Jn. Morrish, sec.), Tolcrn

Newlyn Ice & Trading Co. Limited (Richard V. Toman, sec)

Nicholls Jane (Mrs.), baker, Jack lane

North Charles, farmer, Coombe

Olds Mary Jane (Mrs.), butchr. Old brdg

Paul Charles, boot & shoe ma. Jack lane

Paul William, boat owner, Florence pl

Payne Sl. Fisherman’s Arms P.H. Fore st

Peacock & Co. fish salesmen, Wharf

Peake Wm. wheelwright, Tolcarne ter

Pearce Thos. master mariner, Clifton ter

Polglase William Thomas, shopkeeper, Post office, Fore street

Pollard John Richd. apartments, Olive vil

Pool Geo. & Son, Union inn, Union st

Reading Room (Charles Strick, sec)

Reseigh John, shopkeeper, Fore street

Richards Andrew, shoe maker, Tolcarne

Richards Charles Mann, joiner & buildr

Richards Henry, boat owner

Richards John, fish mer. Trewarwith st

Richards Jn. master mariner, Clifton ter

Richards Stephn. (Mrs.), coopr. Cliftn. ter

Richards Thomas, fish salesman & auctioneer, Street-an-Nowan

Roberts Jane (Mrs.), apartmts. Belmnt. vl

Roberts William Chas. market gardener

Rouffignac Sarah (Mrs.), shopkpr. Fore st

Rowe James, boot & shoe mkr. Fradgen

Rowe Richard, smith, Tolcarne

Rowe Wm. boat owner, Street-an-Nowan

Runnalls James, stone crushing mills

Runnalls James, granite quarry owner, Guavas

Simons Charles, boot & shoe ma. Fore st

Smith John, rope maker, Bowgey

Snell William Henry, monumental mason, 11 New road

Stibbs Julia (Mrs.), Red Lion P.H

Stone William, carrier

Strick Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Higher Green street

Strick William Oates, harbour master

Sullifan William, carpenter, Claremont villa, New road

Sullivan Robt. cooper, Street-an-Nowan

Taylor Chevalier, artist

Thomas Peter, builder &c. Green street

Thomas Rebecca (Mrs.), ladies’ school, Antoine terrace

Thomas William, iron founder, Mounts Bay foundry

Todd Ralph, artist, Clifton terrace

Toman Richard Vingoe, grocer & builder & sec. to Harbour commissioners, Chapel street

Tonkin John, carpenter, North corner

Tonkin Philip, grocer, Fradgen

Tonkin Thomas, apartments, Cliff cot

Tonkin William, farmer, Lyn vue

Trahair William Henry, grocer, & Three Tuns P.H. Fore street

Tregurtha Thomas (Mrs.), shopkeeper, St. Peter’s hill

Trevaskis James, Tolcarne inn, Tolcrne

Trevennen Wm. mrkt. gdnr. Stable Hobba

Trevorrow Robt. Danl. sail ma. New rd

Wallis John, basket maker, Tolcarne

Wallis Wm. farmer & carpntr. Tolcarne

Warren Richard, shipwright, Jack lane

Warren Thomas, fish, fruit, broccoli & potato merchant, Jack lane

Wearn William, Dolphin inn, Jack lane

Weeks John, builder, Westholm

White James, mason, Fore street

White John, builder, Seaview house

Wills Jn. master mariner, Antoine ter

Wren Joseph, fish merchant, Coombe

1 [Ed. A correspondant reports that this should be William Polkinhorne Davey—the book has it as reported.]

More about Paul & Madron

More from Kelly’s 1893